LEGAL REQUIREMENTS (must be met)
* At the time I apply, I will be a full-time student pursuing a bachelor's degree with junior-level academic standing; I have senior-level standing in my third year of college enrollment; or I am a senior and a resident of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or a Pacific Island. Note: Students who have completed their bachelor's degree or are already attending graduate school are not eligible for the Truman Scholarship.
* I am a U.S. citizen (or a U.S. national from a Pacific Island) or I expect to receive my citizenship by the date the Scholarship will be awarded.
CAREER AND GRADUATE STUDY INTERESTS
* I hope to be a "change agent," in time, improving the ways that government agencies, nonprofit organizations, or educational institutions serve the public.
* There are conditions in our society or the environment which trouble me.
* I want to work in government, education, the nonprofit sector, or the public interest/advocacy sector to improve these conditions.
* I am comfortable committing to work in public service for three of the first seven years after I complete a Foundation-funded graduate degree.
* I would like to get a master's degree, a doctorate, or a professional degree such as a law degree or a Master of Public Administration, Master of Public Health, Master of Social Work, Master of Education, Master of Public Policy, or Master of International Affairs.
COMMUNITY SERVICE AND ACADEMIC RECORD
* I have participated extensively in two or more of the following sets of activities:
Student government and/or campus-based extracurricular activities;
Community service-related activities that were not organized by my school or by my fraternity/sorority;
Government internships, commissions or boards, advocacy or interest groups, nonpartisan political activities, or military/ROTC ;
Partisan political activities and campaigns.
* I have been involved with organizations or activities related to my career interests.
* I have demonstrated some of my leadership potential.
* I have sufficiently strong grades and coursework to gain admittance to a first-rate graduate institution.
* I read regularly a good national newspaper and a thoughtful periodical.
* I have had one or more courses relating to my career interests.
* I would appreciate external affirmation of my values and goals.
* I would like to become associated with Truman Scholar "change agents."
* I am capable of analyzing a public issue in my intended career area and presenting my findings in a one-page memo to a government official who could take action.
* I am willing to prepare an outstanding application and policy proposal under the supervision of my Truman Faculty Representative.
* I believe I could hold my own in a challenging interview conducted by a panel of prominent public servants, educators, and former Truman Scholars.
* I could use $30,000 to continue my education.