Principles for Ensuring Equity, Civility and Respect for All
The Johns Hopkins University is a leader in research, patient care and education. Our vision is to continue that leadership by ensuring a university culture that is without illegal discrimination and embraces both equity and diversity. We value all members of our community and their contributions to our mission. We demonstrate that value by ensuring that:
- The Johns Hopkins University is an environment in which all people behave in a manner that engenders mutual respect, treating each other with courtesy and civility regardless of position or status in the academy. Rude, disrespectful behavior is unwelcome and will not be tolerated.
- Our community is one where we demonstrate respect for each other; we accept our individual differences; and we provide opportunities for everyone to maximize his or her potential. Every member of our community will be held accountable for creating a welcoming workplace for all.
- Paths to leadership are clear so that opportunities are not blocked artificially. Leadership positions are filled from inclusive candidate pools established by casting wide nets in non-traditional ways. We will not tolerate exclusion based on gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
- Salary equity is reviewed on a regular basis. We compensate our employees for the job they do in a manner that is equitable and rewards excellence in performance. We will not pay lower salaries to women and people of color simply because they are women and people of color.
- We support work/life balance by encouraging flexibility in the workplace; establishing supportive human resource policies and practices; and providing employee benefits that encourage healthy work- and lifestyles. We will not sacrifice the health of our employees and their families in the pursuit of excellence.
We hold our community and its individual members accountable for accomplishing these goals.