HARVEY CUSHING PROFESSORSHIP IN NEUROSURGERY
Established in 1981 by Betsey Cushing Whitney and John Hay Whitney to honor Mrs. Whitney's father

Image Credit: Alan M. Chesney Archives, Johns Hopkins Medicine HARVEY CUSHING is considered the founder of modern neurosurgery and one of the most influential doctors in the history of medicine. When he arrived at Hopkins in 1896, he brought with him an X-ray machine, a device that had been invented only the year before. Dr. Cushing introduced the use of X-rays in preparation for surgery and the practice of monitoring blood pressure during surgery, discovered the function of the pituitary gland, founded the medical specialty of endocrinology, and opened the nation's first experimental surgery laboratory. He was a member of the Hopkins faculty until 1912.

 

Image Credit: Alan M. Chesney Archives, Johns Hopkins Medicine Dr. Cushing's daughter, BETSEY CUSHING WHITNEY (pictured), and her husband, JOHN HAY WHITNEY, funded this chair. Mr. Whitney served as U.S. ambassador to Great Britain and was chairman of Selznick International Pictures. A senior partner in J.H. Whitney & Company, an investment firm, he was also publisher of The New York Herald Tribune.

 

HENRY BREM, the Harvey Cushing Professor and director of neurosurgery, joined the faculty in 1984 and has built one of the largest brain tumor research and treatment centers in the world. He reinstituted the Hunterian Neurosurgery Laboratory, founded by Dr. Cushing, and has trained many researchers. His laboratory has been responsible for new treatments for brain tumors, including biodegradable polymers with chemotherapy--the first new treatment for brain tumors approved by the FDA in 23 years. He has also been honored with a Hopkins Professors' Award for Excellence in Teaching. In 1998, he was elected to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, and in 2000 he was awarded the Grass Award by the Society of Neurological Surgeons for meritorious research.