GIVEN FOUNDATION PROFESSORSHIP IN PEDIATRICS
Established in 1962 by the Irene Heinz Given and John LaPorte Given Foundation

IRENE HEINZ GIVEN and JOHN LaPORTE GIVEN, married in 1899, provided generous support to medical institutions and universities nationwide. The Givens made their home in Vermont, and Mrs. Given--the daughter of Henry J. Heinz, founder of the H.J. Heinz Company--was active in civic life. In memory of their father and grandmother, Mrs. Given and her brothers established the Heinz Memorial Chapel at the University of Pittsburgh. Mr. Given, who had founded an advertising firm and was the author of Making a Newspaper, went on to join the Heinz Company as advertising counsel and a member of the board of directors. The Givens endowed professorships at several schools, including Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health, and Middlebury College. Mrs. Given died in 1956, and Mr. Given in 1957.

 

GEORGE J. DOVER (pictured with 2 children), the Given Foundation Professor of Pediatrics, is pediatrician-in-chief of the Children's Center and chairs the Department of Pediatrics. He also leads the Child Health Research Center at Hopkins. The author of over 70 journal articles and more than 25 book chapters, Dr. Dover conducts research in sickle cell disease and thalassemia and developed the first effective drug treatment for sickle cell. He received the MERIT Award for outstanding research from the National Institutes of Health. Among his other awards and honors are the Schaffer Award for outstanding teaching of Hopkins clinical house officers in 1989; the Stuart Award for Outstanding Clinical Teaching, given in 1995 by Hopkins senior medical students; and the 1998 Leadership Award from the Maryland chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics. He trained at Hopkins and joined the faculty in 1977.