LAWRENCE CARDINAL SHEHAN was ordained to the priesthood in Rome in 1922 and retired in 1974 after long and distinguished service. He became pastor of St. Patrick's Parish in Washington, DC, then was ordained a bishop in 1945, serving as auxiliary bishop of Baltimore until 1953, when Pope Pius XII named him the first bishop of Bridgeport, Connecticut. He returned to Baltimore as coadjutor archbishop and then, in 1961, became archbishop. In 1965, Pope Paul VI elevated Archbishop Shehan to the cardinalate.
GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL, located in northeast Baltimore, was founded in 1968 through the benevolence of local merchant and philanthropist Thomas O'Neill. It has matured as one of Baltimore's premier comprehensive community hospitals. Good Samaritan and Johns Hopkins Medicine have worked together on centers of clinical and academic excellence in physical medicine and rehabilitation, orthopaedics, and rheumatology.