WILLIAM H. WELCH PROFESSORSHIP IN THE HISTORY OF MEDICINE
Established in 1934 by numerous donors in honor of William H. Welch

Image Credit: Alan M. Chesney Archives, Johns Hopkins Medicine WILLIAM H. WELCH, appointed by President Daniel Coit Gilman in 1884, was the first full-time member of the medical faculty. Along with John Shaw Billings, Dr. Welch assembled the nucleus of the faculty and was a major architect of the new hospital's structure and practice. For 37 years, Dr. Welch chaired the advisory board of the medical faculty. Founder of the Journal of Experimental Medicine, Dr. Welch was instrumental in bringing a scientific approach into medicine in the United States, creating at Hopkins a model that endures today. Dr. Welch developed Hopkins' first pathological laboratory and served as first pathologist-in-chief and first professor of pathology. He was also the first dean of the medical faculty, founder and first director of the School of Hygiene and Public Health, planner for the library that bears his name at the School of Medicine, and founder and first director of the Institute of the History of Medicine, about which he said, "I have a high conception of what a department of the history of medicine could be made--not merely a cultural centre, important as that is, but a real adjuvant of the department of scientific medicine." Throughout his long tenure, Dr. Welch played a pivotal role in integrating what are today known as the Johns Hopkins medical institutions--the hospital and the schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Nursing. He died in 1934 at the age of 84.

 

Image Credit: AnneMarie Poyo RANDALL M. PACKARD, a world-renowned expert in the study of international health and non-Western medicine, is the William H. Welch Professor in the History of Medicine. He has studied the social issues that affect public health responses to epidemic diseases, including AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. He served as a U.S. Peace Corps public health worker in Uganda, a research fellow at the University College of Swaziland, and a research associate in Zaire at the Institute for Scientific Research in Central Africa. From 1987 to 1991, he was chairman of the Social Sciences Research Council's Joint Committee on African Studies. Dr. Packard is the author of two books, the co-editor of four others, and the author of more than 25 scientific articles. Dr. Packard also directs the History of Medicine Institute.