ANDREW W. MELLON CHAIR IN INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
Established in 1970 by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation

Image Credit: Trinity Court Studio ANDREW W. MELLON, born in 1855, was a financier, diplomat, and industrialist. Mr. Mellon helped found the Union Trust Company of Pittsburgh, the Gulf Oil Corporation, and the Pittsburgh Coal Company. In 1921, he left the presidency of the Mellon National Bank to become U.S. secretary of the treasury, serving for ten years under presidents Warren Harding, Calvin Coolidge, and Herbert Hoover. He later served as ambassador to Great Britain during 1932-33. Upon his death in 1937, Mr. Mellon left his vast collection of art to create the National Gallery of Art and enough funds for the construction of the building on the Washington, DC, mall. Four chairs at Hopkins are named for Andrew W. Mellon, two at the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, one at the Peabody Conservatory, and one at the Nitze School of Advanced International Studies.

 

The ANDREW W. MELLON FOUNDATION endowed the Andrew W. Mellon Professorship in the Humanities at the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences to "strengthen the influence of the humanities in the education programs" of The Johns Hopkins University. The Andrew W. Mellon Chair in Piano was created to strengthen the Peabody Conservatory. The Mellon Foundation makes grants on a selective basis to institutions in higher education, in cultural affairs and the performing arts, in population, in conservation and the environment, and in public affairs.

 

Image Credit: Dupont Photographers, Inc. CHARLES F. DORAN, SAIS 1966, A&S 1969 (PhD), the Andrew W. Mellon Professor of International Studies, directs the Center of Canadian Studies and the International Relations Program. He has published more than 10 books and 75 refereed articles, including Myth, Oil, and Politics; Systems in Crisis; and most recently Democratic Pluralism at Risk. A member of the Council on Foreign Relations, he has served as consultant to both private-sector and government agencies, has directed research projects for the MacArthur Foundation among others, and received the prestigious Donner Medal and Governor General's Award for Scholarship on Canada. Dr. Doran joined the faculty in 1979.