JOSEPH RUZICKA AND MARIE RUZICKA FELDMANN DIRECTORSHIP OF LIBRARY PRESERVATION
Established through a commitment made in 2001 by Marie Ruzicka Feldmann

MARIE RUZICKA FELDMANN, A&S 1929 (MA), with her father, JOSEPH RUZICKA, owned and operated the Ruzicka Bindery in Baltimore, founded in 1879 by her father. Mrs. Feldmann joined the bindery in 1929, learned the business of certified library bookbinding, and succeeded her father as president in the mid-1930s. The Ruzicka Bindery had many libraries among its customers, including the Johns Hopkins University Libraries and the Enoch Pratt Free Library. She managed the business until it was sold in 1985. In her early retirement, Mrs. Feldman was an avid golfer and traveler. She died in 2005.

(Mrs. Feldmann is pictured at the Hopkins 2000 Convocation.)

 

Joseph Ruzicka was a founding member of the Johns Hopkins Friends of the Libraries. Both Mrs. Feldmann and her father generously supported the Friends from the group's inception in 1931.

 

SOPHIA JORDAN-MOWERY, an internationally recognized book and paper conservator, is the inaugural Joseph Ruzicka and Marie Ruzicka Feldmann Director of Library Preservation. She oversees a comprehensive program including book and paper conservation, film and digital preservation and disaster preparedness planning.

Established in 1975 and modeled on The City and Guilds of London Institute, the libraries’ preservation program is one of the oldest library preservation and apprenticeship programs in the United States. It has provided preservation training and workshops for conservation technicians, preservation administrators and conservation interns for nearly four decades.