ALAN C. WOODS, M.D., PROFESSORSHIP IN OPHTHALMOLOGY
Established in 2002 by the Wilmer Eye Institute in honor of Alan C. Woods

ALAN CHURCHILL WOODS, A&S 1910, Med 1914, was the second director of the Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute. It was one of Dr. Woods' early patients who proposed and made possible the creation of a large center for ophthalmology at Johns Hopkins, along with patients of William H. Wilmer--the institute's first director and namesake. After service as an Army physician, Dr. Woods joined the medical practice of his father, also an ophthalmologist, in Baltimore. He then became a Hopkins faculty member, rising to the rank of professor and, in 1934, succeeding Dr. Wilmer as director. Dr. Woods served as the Wilmer Institute's head until 1955. Well known for influential research on uveitis, an ocular inflammation, he published Edogenous Inflammations of the Uveal Tract in 1961, incorporating new evidence that previous exposure to histoplasmosis was a contributing factor in certain macular lesions. Dr. Woods died in 1963.

 

CHAIRHOLDER TO BE NAMED