LAWSON WILKINS PROFESSORSHIP OF PEDIATRIC ENDOCRINOLOGY
Established in 2006 with gifts from several donors in honor of Lawson Wilkins

Image Credit: Alan M. Chesney Archives, Johns Hopkins Medicine LAWSON WILKINS, Med 1918, founded the first pediatric endocrine clinic in the world at the Harriet Lane Home in Baltimore in 1935. It was during this time that he began to direct his attention to the relationship of endocrinology to human growth. In 1946 he discontinued his private practice of 25 years to devote all of his time to research and teaching pediatric endocrinology. His book, The Diagnosis and Treatment of Endocrine Disorders in Childhood and Adolescence, is internationally accepted as the authoritative text in its field. His investigations of 1940-41 on cholesterol metabolism in hypothyroidism remain classic and valid observations of importance in the study of pediatric endocrine disorders. Dr. Wilkins was a member of numerous medical societies throughout the world and brought to pediatrics a solid foundation for the understanding of endocrine disorders and the rational employment of hormonal therapy. He died in 1963 and is survived by his daughter, Elizabeth McMaster.

 

SALLY RADOVICK, the inaugural Lawson Wilkins Professor of Pediatric Endocrinology, joined Johns Hopkins in 2005 as chief of the division of pediatric endocrinology. She is a member of the board of directors of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society, and the author of more than 50 manuscripts and a book, Clinical Management of Pediatric Endocrine Disorders. She has been elected to both the American Pediatric Society and the Association of American Physicians. Dr. Radovick’s research has focused on three principal areas: developmental and functional regulation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neuron during puberty, the molecular basis of hypopituitarism and short stature, and the prevention of obesity and diabetes in children.