JOSEPH THOMAS AUGUST, University Distinguished Service Professor of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences and Oncology, joined the Hopkins faculty in 1976 as director of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. A graduate of Stanford University School of Medicine, he previously served as chairman, Department of Molecular Biology, and director, Division of Biology, The Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1972-1976. From 2001 to 2004, he was interim director of the Division of Biomedical Sciences at Johns Hopkins Singapore, and is currently adjunct professor of medicine at the National University of Singapore. Dr. August’s current research centers on the development of novel virus and cancer vaccines.
JOHN L. CAMERON, Med 1962, the Alfred Blalock Professor of Surgery, Distinguished Service Professor, and the first William Stewart Halsted Professor of Surgery, stepped down in 2003 as surgeon-in-chief and chairman of the Department of Surgery. He has made many contributions to the understanding of the pathophysiology and management of benign and malignant pancreatic diseases. Most often associated with the Whipple procedure, a complex operation used to treat a variety of pancreatic diseases including pancreatic cancer, he has performed more of these operations than any other surgeon in the world. Except for two years at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Dr. Cameron has spent his entire medical career at Johns Hopkins. He has published over 300 articles, over 90 book chapters, and is the editor of nine books. He is on the editorial board of several journals, is co-editor of the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery and is editor of Advances in Surgery. Dr. Cameron remains active as a clinical surgeon, as a teacher, and an investigator.
JANICE E. CLEMENTS, PhD, is professor of molecular and comparative pathobiology, neurology, and pathology, with a joint appointment in the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics. She has been the vice dean for faculty since 2000 and holds the Mary Wallace Stanton Professorship in Faculty Affairs. She was named a University Distinguished Service Professor in 2007. She serves as the voice of the faculty in the dean’s office. In 1990, Dr. Clements became the 24th woman to be promoted to professor in the School of Medicine, and she has advocated and fostered the creation of opportunities for women and underrepresented minorities in academia. Toward those goals, she created the Office of Women in Science and Medicine, led by Associate Dean Dr. Barbara Fivush, and helped to create the Office of Diversity and Cultural Competence, led by Associate Dean Dr. Brian Gibbs. Serving as a guide for faculty members, she has led efforts to more clearly explain the criteria for promotion and has made the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine promotion and tenure procedures flexible in terms of time at rank.
Dr. Clements began her research in neurovirology with Richard T. Johnson and Opendra "Bill" Narayan in the Department of Neurology, and continued on the faculty of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She co-authored studies demonstrating that HIV was a lentivirus and pioneered molecular pathogenesis studies using the simian immunodeficiency virus model. Dr. Clements has led the Retrovirus Laboratory since 1993, studying how viruses interact with cells to cause disease. Much of her research has concentrated on animal lentiviruses, which include HIV and the simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) and their role in neurological disease. Dr. Clements currently studies HIV and SIV latency in cells in brain and other tissues of infected individuals to identify those that will be targeted by eradication approaches currently being investigated. Dr. Clements was the first director of the Department of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology from 2002-2007.
CHARLES W. CUMMINGS was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in November of 1935. He graduated from Deerfield Academy in 1953, Dartmouth College in 1957, and the University of Virginia Medical School in 1961. He was an intern at Dartmouth and completed a year of general surgery residency at the University of Virginia. He entered the Air Force in 1963, was discharged in July 1965, and entered residency training in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the Harvard Medical School Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, finishing the program in 1968. Dr. Cummings was in private practice in Boston and on the clinical staff at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary until the end of 1975 when he moved to Syracuse, New York, and became an associate professor in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the State University of New York Upstate Medical University. Two years later, on January 1, 1978, he assumed chairmanship of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Washington where he remained until the end of 1990 when he became director of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Johns Hopkins. In 2003, Dr. Cummings stepped down as director. He is a Distinguished Service Professor at Johns Hopkins and continues to care for patients. Dr. Cummings is also the senior medical director for Johns Hopkins International. He has written over 125 scientific papers and is the senior editor of the four volume text Cummings Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, which is in its fourth edition. He has also co-authored two surgical atlases, one on laryngeal surgery and another on surgical access and reconstruction in the field of laryngology and head and neck surgery. Dr. Cummings served as a director of the American Board of Otolaryngology, as chairman of the Residency Review Committee and chairman of the Advisory Council for Otolaryngology to the American College of Surgeons. He was chief of staff of The Johns Hopkins Hospital from 1997 through 1999 and serves on the board of directors of Johns Hopkins Medicine. He is a past president of the American Association for Academic Departments of Otolaryngology, American Broncho-Esophagological Association, the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and the American Society for Head and Neck Surgery. He is married to Jane Drake Cummings and has three children and eight grandchildren.
BARBARA J. DE LATEUR, University Distinguished Service Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, served as the Lawrence Cardinal Shehan Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and director of the department from 1994 to 2004. She is now the Lawrence Cardinal Shehan Professor and Director Emerita. Dr. de Lateur directs the department’s Biomechanics Research Laboratory and also holds a joint appointment in health policy and management at the Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. de Lateur has over 30 years of experience in research on and application of exercise in health maintenance and in the management of musculoskeletal and other disorders. Her clinical and research interests include exercise studies in the prevention and treatment of frailty and obesity, as well as biomechanics of gait and muscle tone in stroke, transverse myelitis, normal pressure hydrocephalus and other conditions. She is the third physiatrist elected to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. In 1998, she received the Distinguished Academician Award from the Association of Academic Physiatrists.
In 1972, CATHERINE D. DE ANGELIS, MD, MPH, completed her pediatric residency at Hopkins, and in 1978 she returned to establish the Division of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. She soon became the vice chair and residency director of the Pediatrics Department, and in 1986 she was promoted to full professor, becoming the 12th woman at the School of Medicine to do so — a number she deemed woefully small. From 1990 to 2000, as vice dean for academic affairs and faculty, she launched several initiatives to improve women’s presence in academic medicine, including the Committee on Faculty Development and Gender. In 1992, she received a grant and led the initiative to revamp the medical school curriculum for the first time in 75 years. In 1992, she started a certificate program for The Business of Medicine, which expanded to a masters-level program a few years later.
In 2000, she became the first female and first pediatrician editor in chief of JAMA, one of the oldest and most revered medical journals in the world. Dr. DeAngelis returned to Hopkins in 2010 to establish a program for Patient Care and Professionalism in Medicine and the Related Professions, including nursing, public health, religion, business, and law. She was named a Johns Hopkins University Distinguished Service Professor Emerita in 2012.
RICHARD T. JOHNSON, MD, a member of the Department of Neurology since its creation in 1969, served for many years as director of the department and neurologist-in-chief. Dr. Johnson, who held a joint appointment in the Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases at the School of Public Health, is the recipient of many national and international awards for his research on infections of the nervous system, including the Gordon Wilson Medal from the American Clinical and Climatological Association and the Order of Hipolito Unanue from the president of Peru. In 2001 he was named a Distinguished Service Professor of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
PAUL W. LADENSON, the John Eager Howard Professor of Endocrinology and Metabolism and Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus and a faculty member since 1983, directed the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism since 1989, and founded the Hopkins Thyroid Tumor Center. He is widely known for his clinical research in thyroidology, particularly related to thyroid cancer management and effects of thyroid hormone on the heart. Dr. Ladenson is editor-in-chief of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, past president of the American Thyroid Association and the Association of Subspecialty Professors, and the author of 200 scientific publications.
M. DANIEL LANE, University Distinguished Service Professor of Biological Chemistry, received BS and MS degrees from Iowa State University and a PhD degree from the University of Illinois. He was a senior postdoctoral fellow at the Max-Planck Institute Für Zellchemie in Munich. Following faculty positions at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and New York University School of Medicine, he joined the faculty at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and later served as DeLamar Professor and director of the Department of Biological Chemistry from 1978 to 1997. In 2002 he received an honorary degree Doctor of Humane Letters from Iowa State University, his alma mater. Dr. Lane was elected to membership in the National Academy of Sciences (1987) and was elected as a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1982) and of the American Society of Nutritional Sciences (1996). He received the Mead Johnson Award from the American Society for Nutritional Sciences in 1966 and, in 1981, the William C. Rose Award from the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. In 1990-1991 Dr. Lane served as president of the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. He has presented numerous named lectureships and served on many editorial boards including the Journal of Biological Chemistry and the Annual Reviews of Biochemistry and was co-editor of the Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry. Currently he is associate editor for Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. Dr. Lane has published over 300 research papers. His early work focused on various enzymatic CO2 fixation reactions, notably the mechanisms by which the B-vitamin, biotin, functions in enzymes to catalyze carboxylation. Dr. Lane's pioneering work on the regulation of acetyl-CoA carboxylase, the key regulatory enzyme of fatty acid synthesis, led him to his present interests on the basic mechanisms of lipogenesis, adipogenesis and the consequence of aberrations in these processes, most notably obesity and its relationship to Type-2 diabetes.
DONLIN M. LONG served as director of the Department of Neurosurgery from 1973 through 2000, when he stepped down to devote all his time to research, education, and patient care. He holds a joint appointment at the Applied Physics Laboratory and is a founder of the Laboratory for Technology Transfer.
Dr. Long, who also holds a PhD in neuroanatomy, focuses his treatment and research on tumors of the skull, complex spinal problems, and problems of chronic pain. As director, he led his department to become one of the best of its kind, responsible for major contributions to the understanding of brain systems, brain tumor therapy, and pain treatment. Twenty-three of his trainees have gone on to head neurosurgery departments or divisions in hospitals and medical schools all over the world. In 2001, Dr. Long was appointed a Distinguished Service Professor.
PAUL R. McHUGH, former director of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the hospita, has been widely recognized for his efforts to bring clarity and conceptual structure to psychiatry. Since his arrival at Hopkins in 1975, Dr. McHugh forged a department considered one of the best in the world. His book, The Perspectives of Psychiatry, co-authored with Phillip R. Slavney, presents the framework of thought that has characterized his department. His own research focuses on the neuroscientific foundations of motivated behaviors, psychiatric genetics, epidemiology, and neuropsychiatry. Dr. McHugh was named a University Distinguished Professor in 1998.
VERNON B. MOUNTCASTLE, Med 1942, University Professor Emeritus of Neuroscience, was a world leader in the study of brain physiology. He interned in surgery at the hospital, served in the Navy during World War II, and then joined the faculty in physiology in 1948. His research has focused on the central neural mechanisms in sensation and perception, particularly in somesthesis and visual and spatial perception. Director of the Department of Physiology for more than 15 years, Dr. Mountcastle has also served as director of the Philip Bard Laboratories of Neurophysiology. He has published monographs, textbooks, and more than 100 papers and has received a number of honorary awards, among them six honorary degrees, the Lasker Award, the Lashley Prize, the Sherrington Gold Medal, the Horwitz Prize, the Helmholtz Medal, the Zotterman Prize, the Schmitt Medal, the McGovern Medal, the Australia Prize, the Cajal Award, and the National Medal of Science.
MURRAY B. SACHS served as the Massey Professor and director of the Department of Biomedical Engineering from 1991 to 2007. He is also professor in the departments of Neuroscience and Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and a University Distinguished Service Professor at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. Sachs was introduced to research on the nervous system while studying electrical engineering and auditory physiology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he received his academic degrees. Following his graduate studies and a short diversion from the auditory research for which he is renowned, he joined the faculty of The Johns Hopkins University in 1970, the same year the Biomedical Engineering Department was formed.
At Johns Hopkins, Dr. Sachs and his colleagues set out to further understand how the brain processes sounds, including speech and other complex stimuli. Their integration of basic research and clinical problems led to the establishment of the Center for Hearing Sciences in 1986 and the Research and Training Center for Hearing and Balance in 1991. Under Dr. Sachs' direction, both centers promoted interaction among scientists in the departments of Biomedical Engineering, Otolaryngology, and Neuroscience. Known as an inspiring teacher, Dr. Sachs trained many scientists who are leaders in auditory research and biomedical engineering today.
During Dr. Sachs’ tenure as director and chair of Biomedical Engineering, the department saw many important advances, including the establishment of the Whitaker Biomedical Institute in 2001, a joint venture between the School of Medicine and the Whiting School of Engineering; the building of Clark Hall in 2005 as a home for biomedical engineering on the Homewood campus; and the department’s U.S. News & World Report number one ranking from 1994 to the present.
PATRICK C. WALSH, director of Hopkins' Brady Urological Institute from 1974 to 2004, is known worldwide for his pioneering development of the surgical treatment for prostate cancer. Dr. Walsh developed a technique for removing the cancerous prostate that avoids the impotence and incontinence often associated with the traditional procedure. In 1996, Dr. Walsh received the prestigious Charles F. Kettering Prize, sponsored by General Motors Corporation, for "The Most Outstanding Recent Contributions to the Treatment of Cancer." Dr. Walsh is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, he serves on the editoral board of the New England Journal of Medicine, and for his 25 years of contributions as editor-in-chief of Campbell's Textbook of Urology the book has been renamed Campbell-Walsh. Dr. Walsh is a University Distinguished Service Professor of Urology.
JOEL ELKES, University Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry, served as Henry Phipps Professor and director of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and as psychiatrist-in-chief from 1963 to 1975. He has significantly contributed to the founding of the new science of psychopharmacology, which deals with the play of chemical influences on mental life and the place of drugs in management and treatment of the mentally ill. He is a founding member of the Council of the International Brain Research Organization and was founding president of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. In 1951, Dr. Elkes founded the Department of Experimental Psychiatry in the University of Birmingham (UK), the first of its kind in the world. He also founded the Clinical Neuropharmacology Research Center of NIMH at St. Elizabeth's Hospital. Dr. Elkes has received many honors, including an International Pioneer Award in Psychopharmacology. The Neuroscience Laboratories in the Department of Psychiatry at Hopkins are named after him and an international award in the field also carries his name. He is a life fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a Fetzer Institute Founding Fellow and senior scholar-in-residence.
THOMAS R. HENDRIX, Med 1951, became the first full-time director of gastroenterology at Johns Hopkins six years after receiving his medical degree, a position he held until 1988. He contributed significantly to the division’s longstanding reputation as one of the world’s leading resources for the research and care of gastrointestinal disorders. Throughout his tenure at Hopkins, Dr. Hendrix mentored many students, colleagues, and investigators. He is also widely recognized as one of the first investigators to demonstrate the value of the gluten-free diet. Dr. Hendrix is currently an Emeritus Distinguished Service Professor of Medicine and Emeritus Director of the Division of Gastroenterology.
ROBERT H. HEPTINSTALL, University Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus of Pathology, was Baxley Professor and director of the Department of Pathology, and pathologist-in-chief from 1969 to 1988. He is best known for his work on the kidney and hypertension and their relation to each other. He was one of the pioneers in the use of the percutaneous renal biopsy, and has spent most of his career promoting the specialty of renal pathology. His book, Pathology of the Kidney, is now in its sixth edition. Dr. Heptinstall has served as president of the American Society of Nephrology, and as editor of Laboratory Investigation, one of the two principal pathology journals. His awards for contributing to renal pathology include the David Hume Award of the National Kidney Foundation, the Peters Award of the American Society of Nephrology, and the Hamburger Award of the International Society of Nephrology.
RICHARD J. JOHNS, Med 1948, University Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus of Biomedical Engineering and Medicine, is an expert in neuromuscular function. He joined the faculty in 1955 and became a professor of medicine in 1966. He was dean of admissions from 1962-1966. He served from 1970 to 1991 as the Bessie Darling Massey Professor of Biomedical Engineering and as the founding director of both the university and hospital departments of Biomedical Engineering. He holds a joint appointment at the Applied Physics Laboratory. Dr. Johns edited The Principles and Practice of Medicine through five editions in the 1970s and 1980s, has authored more than 125 papers, and holds three U.S. patents. He is a member of the Institute of Medicine and served on its council; he is a fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine, the American College of Physicians, the American Society for Clinical Investigation, the Association of American Physicians, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, of which he is a past chairman of the Section of Medical Sciences. He also is a founding fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering and has served as president of the Biomedical Engineering Society, the Society on Engineering in Biology and Medicine of the IEEE and the American Board of Clinical Engineering. The university honored him with its Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1994 and its Distinguished Medical Alumnus Award in 1997.
ALBERT H. OWENS JR., A&S 1947, Med 1949, University Distinguished Service Professor of Oncology, served as president of the hospital from 1987 to 1989. During his 42-year career on the medical faculty, Dr. Owens was a leader in the evolving academic discipline of oncology and of the National Cancer Program. In 1973, he founded the Oncology Center at Johns Hopkins, serving as its director until 1992. As director, he held the E.K. Marshall Jr. Professorship in Oncology and authored and edited the first section on oncology in an American textbook of medicine. He has served as president of the Association of American Cancer Institutes, the National Coalition for Cancer Research, the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the Maryland Division of the American Cancer Society. Since 1992, Dr. Owens has served as adviser and director of four early-stage biotechnology companies. He works to transform discoveries made at Hopkins into products of value in patient care.
GERT H. BRIEGER, Med 1968 (PhD), is Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus in the Department of the History of Medicine in Hopkins' Institute of the History of Medicine. After four years of family practice, Dr. Brieger turned his attention to medical history, specifically the history of American medicine and public health, the history of surgery, and the history of medical education. Dr. Brieger is a past president of the American Association of the History of Medicine.
DAVID A. ROBINSON, Engr 1956 (MSc), 1959 (Dr. Engr.), University Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus of Ophthalmology, Biomedical Engineering, and Neuroscience, joined the electrical engineering faculty in 1961 and was one of the first professors in the Department of Biomedical Engineering, the first department of its kind in the United States. Winner of the 1987 Proctor Medal of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Dr. Robinson has focused his research on neurophysiology, oculomotor physiology, and mathematical modeling. He helped to recognize that engineering methodology could be well applied to physiologic control systems in our bodies, including the ocular motor system. Dr. Robinson is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, and the Society for Neuroscience. He has served on many editorial boards and is co-editor of the Reviews of Oculomotor Research series.
LILLIAN D. SHOCKNEY, RN, BUS '88 (MAS), is the University Distinguished Service Associate Professor of Breast Cancer. An associate professor of surgery, obstetrics and gynecology in the School of Medicine, Ms. Shockney joined Johns Hopkins in 1983. In her role as administrative director of Hopkins Breast Center, a position she has held since 1997, she is responsible for the quality of care programs; patient education programs; survivor volunteer team; community outreach at a local, regional, and national level; and patient advocacy. She is an active clinical researcher with a focus on quality of life issues for survivors. Ms. Shockney has written eight books on the subject of breast cancer and is a nationally recognized public speaker on the subject. She has received 29 national breast cancer awards in recognition for being a pioneer in the field of breast cancer patient advocacy, patient empowerment, and breast cancer leadership.
SOLOMON H. SNYDER, University Distinguished Service Professor of Neuroscience, Pharmacology, and Psychiatry, is director of the Department of Neuroscience. Dr. Snyder pioneered the labeling of receptors by reversible ligand binding in the identification of opiate receptors and then extending this technique to all the major neurotransmitter receptors in the brain. His work has enhanced the development of new agents in the pharmaceutical industry by enabling rapid screening of a large number of candidate drugs. For these and other major scientific discoveries, Dr. Snyder is the recipient of numerous professional honors, including the 1978 Albert Lasker Award for Basic Biomedical Research, the Wolf Foundation Prize in Medicine, and the 1996 Bristol-Myers Squibb Award for Distinguished Achievement in Neuroscience Research. A member of the National Academy of Sciences and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Science, he is the author of more than 900 journal articles and several books, including Biological Aspects of Abnormal Behavior and Brainstorming. In 2002 he was awarded the Doctor Scientiarum Honoris Causa, the highest honor given by the Israel Institute of Technology Council of the Technion. In 2003 he won the National Medal of Science, the nation's highest award for contributions to scientific knowledge.
WILLIAM H. ZINKHAM, A&S 1943, Med 1947, University Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus of Pediatrics and Oncology, was the first Rainey Professor of Pediatric Hematology. In 1970, Dr. Zinkham was the first recipient of the Alexander J. Schaffer Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching and in 1984 became the first at Hopkins to be awarded this honor a second time. In 1985, he received the Professors' Award for Excellence in Teaching. Dr. Zinkham's research has focused on the definition of red-cell metabolic and hemoglobin abnormalities associated with congenital or acquired hemolytic disorders. His pursuits resulted in the identification of several new unstable forms of hemoglobin and the characterization of post-translational factors that alter the survival of genetically modified red cells. A member of the faculty since 1955, Dr. Zinkham is the author of more than 100 publications.