G. STANLEY HALL PROFESSORSHIP IN PSYCHOLOGY
Established in 1981 by the University in memory of G. Stanley Hall

Image Credit: Ferdinand Hamburger Jr. Archives, Johns Hopkins University, Milton S. Eisenhower Library G. STANLEY HALL joined the Hopkins faculty in 1880 as profesor of psychology and pedagogics. During his relatively short tenure at Hopkins, he introduced an innovation that changed American academic life: the founding of the first laboratory of experimental psychology in the United States. This professorship was established on the centennial of that momentous first.

Dr. Hall also founded the American Journal of Psychology. He left Hopkins to become president of Clark University, only the third United States university to provide advanced education mainly or exclusively on the graduate level--a model The Johns Hopkins University introduced in this country.

 

CHAIRHOLDER TO BE NAMED