ABRAM G. HUTZLER PROFESSORSHIP IN POLITICAL ECONOMY
Established in 1925 by Abram G. Hutzler

In 1858, ABRAM G. HUTZLER, with his brothers Charles and David, founded Hutzler Brothers Company, which became the largest department store in Baltimore. It remained an integral part of the region's landscape and culture for 142 years, famous for high-quality merchandise and outstanding customer service.

Mr. Hutzler endowed this professorship during the university's Half-Century campaign.

 

The endowment was further enhanced through the efforts of his nephew, the late ALBERT D. HUTZLER, A&S 1909, a university trustee from 1951-61 and leader of the campaign to build the Eisenhower Library.

 

Albert's son, the late ALBERT D. HUTZLER JR., A&S 1937, also helped to augment the Hutzler Professorship endowment. A university trustee from 1967-73, he received the Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1973. He succeeded his father as president of Hutzler Brothers Company, and both were instrumental in the development of the retail business in Baltimore during difficult times.

 

Image Credit: Jay Van Rensselaer/Homewood Photography M. ALI KHAN, the Abram G. Hutzler Professor of Political Economy, is internationally recognized for his research in mathematical economics, international trade, and economic development. He joined the faculty in 1973, served until 1984, and returned in 1988. During his service at Hopkins, he has supervised over 33 doctoral candidates. Since assuming the Hutzler Professorship in 1988, Dr. Khan has become increasingly involved in studying the broad relationship between economic development and cultural change and, consequently, epistemological issues and the history of ideas, especially as they pertain to the Scottish Enlightenment and the 18th century. Dr. Khan is the author of more than 100 articles.