The BROWN FOUNDATION, based in Houston, Texas, was founded in 1951 by Margarett Root Brown, Herman Brown, Alice Pratt Brown, and George R. Brown. Herman and George Brown co-founded Brown & Root Inc., a construction company with subsidiary oil, gas, mining, and real estate companies. The foundation supports education, the arts and humanities, health and medicine, and community service. In the field of education, the foundation focuses its support on non-traditional and innovative approaches to the improvement of public education.
RALPH S. O'CONNOR, A&S 1951, a university trustee emeritus, is a successful Houston entrepreneur, civic leader, and philanthropist. He serves as chairman and chief executive officer of Ralph S. O'Connor Associates. Mr. O'Connor, who was honored with a university President's Medal in 1981, has supported the Walter Stark Chair in Ophthalmology, endowed scholarships for Krieger School students, and supported construction of the student recreation center on the Homewood campus, dedicated in 2002, and named in his honor.