MARY ELIZABETH GARRETT CHAIR IN ARTS AND SCIENCES
Established in 1981 by the University in memory of Mary Elizabeth Garrett

Image Credit: John Singer Sargent MARY ELIZABETH GARRETT headed the Women's Medical Fund, a group of women from Baltimore and across the nation who raised the endowment necessary for the Hopkins School of Medicine to open in 1893. Miss Garrett herself provided the majority of the funds raised by the group.

The endowment the women presented to the board of trustees was accompanied by a stipulation that the school aspire to the highest academic standards and admit women on the same terms as men. Among the members of the Hopkins board was her father, John W. Garrett, who was president of the B&O Railroad.

 

CHAIRHOLDER TO BE NAMED